Berlin 2013 August-September
SPANDAUER / MITTE
The district of Mitte (centre) is the historical heart of the city and was a former district which, during the separation of the city by the East Germans, was located East Berlin (under Soviet occupation). This district includes many buildings related to the large Jewish community of the city before the war, such as New Synagogue Berlin (1866), built in Oranienburgerstrasse and 75% destroyed during the 2nd World War. But also Ahawa orphanage and the Jewish girls school and a series of interior passages we are able to discuss the work of Walter Benjamin.